The history of the Castle
The Castle is the centrepiece of the estate. It is a large quadrangular house with a central courtyard. Each section has a different appearance, reflecting the different architectural styles that have been employed here since building began in the 13th century.
Once inside you can see the collection of paintings, furniture, tapestries and objects d'art that fill the state rooms. Thrones and furnishings from the House of Lords are some of the more unusual items on view.
A Castle built for a King. Grimsthorpe has been the home of the de Eresby family since 1516, when it was granted by Henry VIII to the 11th Baron Willoughby de Eresby on the occasion of his marriage to Maria de Salinas, lady-in-waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon.
The North Front is the last work of Sir John Vanbrugh. It was commissioned in 1715 by his friend Robert Bertie, the 17th Baron Willoughby de Eresby, to celebrate his enoblement as the first Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven.
Grimsthorpe's historical connection. The collection of fine furniture associated with the Willoughby de Eresby's hereditary Office as Lord Great Chamberlains to the Palace of Westminster, including thrones and furnishings from the old House of Lords, can be seen in the suite of state rooms along with family portraits and those of the monarchs they served.