Current vacancies at Grimsthorpe and Drummond Castles.
GRIMSTHORPE CASTLE GARDENS
- To help maintain and enhance the gardens and grounds surrounding the Castle. These include herbaceous borders, kitchen garden, fruit trees, roses, lawns, hedges and topiary, glasshouses, woodland and drives and paths.
- Duties will include:
- Seasonal maintenance and ongoing development of herbaceous borders
- Shrub rose border and rose parterre maintenance
- Kitchen garden (productive and ornamental) development and maintenance
- Watering – glasshouses, nursery stock and borders
- Mowing (ride-on and pedestrian), edging and strimming of formal lawns and other grassed areas
- Hedge trimming – Yew, Box and Thorn including topiary
- Tree work
- Pest and disease monitoring
- Weed killing drives and paths
- Operation of a varied range of horticultural machinery
- You will be working as part of a team of four gardeners with additional trainees and seasonal staff.
- Compliance with the Trust’s health and safety policy and all health and safety rules and regulations for the better and safer execution of all day to day work.
- To undergo any other training that might reasonably be needed for the better performance of the gardener’s role.
- To be flexible in the approach to work hours to help cope with emergencies and other unforeseen occurrences.
- Any other tasks that may reasonably be required to aid in the maintenance and care of the garden and grounds.
The gardens cover an area of approximately 65 acres and are open to the public seasonally. They include herbaceous borders, formal hedges and topiary, kitchen garden, extensive lawns, roses and woodland.
The ideal candidate will have a high level of experience and they will need to bring energy, enthusiasm and experience to the role and ideally both practical and formal training. They need to be punctual, efficient, flexible and hard working.
A competitive salary will be offered along with a generous contributory pension scheme. The salary will be commensurate with experience and is likely to be in the region of £17,500.
C.P.D. will be encouraged to provide training to enable work within the gardens to be carried out as efficiently and safely as possible.
The successful applicant is likely to have the following abilities:
- Ideally a formal horticultural qualification to National Diploma/RHS level 2
- Minimum three years practical experience in similar position
- PA 1+6, basic chainsaw certificates
- Full driving licence
- Good, varied plant knowledge and the associated maintenance and propagation requirements
- Experience of the use of garden tractors and various implements
- Experience of the use of ride-on and pedestrian mowers
- Basic mechanical knowledge
- Physically fit to meet demands of the job and able to work in all weather conditions as required
- Experience of health and safety regulations with regard for own and others safety
- Punctual but with a willingness to be flexible with time
- Self-motivated and driven individual able to work solely and as part of a team
- A “can do now” attitude
The Managing Agent, Grimsthorpe Estate Office, Grimsthorpe, BOURNE, PE10 0LY.