We are recruiting for an experienced gardener to join our gardening team here at Grimsthorpe Castle.
The gardens cover an area of approximately 70 acres and are open to the public seasonally. They include herbaceous borders, formal hedges and topiary, kitchen garden, extensive lawns, roses, and woodland.
The ideal candidate will have experience of a similar setting and will bring energy and enthusiasm to the role with ideally both practical and formal training. They need to be punctual, efficient, flexible, and hard working.
Starting salary is £17,940 plus a generous contributory pension scheme.
Training will be ongoing to enable work within the gardens to be carried out as efficiently and safely as possible.
Applications can be made to Jim@grimsthorpe.co.uk
Closing date is the 25th June
- To help maintain and enhance the gardens and grounds surrounding the Castle. These include herbaceous borders, kitchen garden, fruit trees, roses, lawns, hedges and topiary, glasshouses, woodland and drives and paths.
- Duties may include:
- Seasonal maintenance and ongoing development of herbaceous borders
- Shrub rose border and rose parterre maintenance
- Kitchen garden (productive and ornamental) development and maintenance
- Watering – glasshouses, nursery stock and borders with weekend duties on rota
- Mowing (ride-on and pedestrian), edging and strimming of formal lawns and other grassed areas
- Hedge trimming – Yew, Box and Thorn including topiary
- Tree work
- Pest and disease monitoring
- Weed killing drives and paths
- Operation of a varied range of horticultural machinery
- You will be working as part of a team of gardeners with additional trainees and seasonal staff.
- On occasion you may need to be flexible with work hours and undertake additional tasks that may reasonably be required to aid in the maintenance, care and development of the garden and landscape.
- You will be compliant with the Trust’s health and safety policy and all health and safety rules and regulations for the better and safer execution of all day-to-day work.
The successful applicant is likely to have the following abilities:
- Ideally a formal horticultural qualification equivalent to RHS level 2
- Minimum two years practical experience in a similar position
- PA 1+6
- Full driving licence
- Good, varied plant knowledge and the associated maintenance and propagation requirements
- Experience of the use of garden tractors and machinery
- Physically fit to meet demands of the job and able to work in all weather conditions as required
- Experience of health and safety regulations with regard for own and others safety
- Punctual but with a willingness to be flexible with time
- Self-motivated and driven individual able to work solely and as part of a team
- A “can do now” attitude