83.8 x 177.8 x 88.9 cm
The frieze carved with entrelac-and-rosette edged with egg-and-dart ornament centred by a shell framed by later scrolls and standing on hairy lions’ paw legs.
The table has been extended and widened in the past. It may originally have been a stand for a cabinet. The back stretcher bears the trade label of ‘Weaver, 46 Wardour St. Soho’ (Alfred Weaver is listed as a ‘carver and gilder’ in Kelly’s Directory of 1852), and the front right leg has a pencil inscription ‘G. Lindley house carpenter Grimsthorpe Castle aged 13, March 20 1891’.
The marble slab was bought in Rome in 1853 by the Hon. Alberic Drummond Willoughby.