Each with a pierced ribbon-scrolled back, surmounted by a Chinese pagoda. The frames are richly carved with scrolling acanthus and flower heads, cartouche and shell-feather motifs and Chinese fretwork. The upholstered seats still have their original fine floral needlework covers.
They were probably supplied to Peregrine, 3rd Duke of Ancaster (1714-1778) for Grimsthorpe Castle and were originally part of a set of six chairs which were later sold.
In 2003, this pair was bought by the Trustees of the Grimsthorpe and Drummond Castle Trust, with the help of the Heritage Lottery Fund, and returned to their former home at Grimsthorpe.