12 Apr SENIOR GARDENER
A newly created position of senior gardener is required to join the gardening team at Grimsthorpe Castle, Lincolnshire.
The gardens cover an area of approximately 65 acres and are open to the public seasonally. They include herbaceous borders, formal hedges and topiary, kitchen garden, extensive lawns, roses and woodland.
The ideal candidate will be suitably qualified with significant practical experience in horticulture. Supervisory experience for the day to day management of a small team is a necessity along with excellent plant knowledge and competence with the use of a wide range of machinery. Knowledge of H&S legislation and good working practice are required along with the need to be punctual, flexible and hard working.
A competitive salary will be offered along with a generous contributory pension scheme. The salary will be commensurate with experience and is likely to be in the region of £21,000.
C.P.D. will be encouraged to provide training to enable work within the gardens to be carried out as efficiently and safely as possible.
- This is a hands-on position to lead and assist the team with the ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the gardens and grounds surrounding Grimsthorpe Castle to excellent standards. These include herbaceous borders, kitchen garden, fruit trees, roses, lawns, hedges and topiary, glasshouses, woodland, drives and paths.
- Responsibilities will include:
- Supervision and instruction of gardeners and trainees on a day to day basis
- Leading guided tours
- Seasonal maintenance and ongoing development of herbaceous borders
- Shrub rose border and rose parterre maintenance
- Kitchen garden (productive and ornamental) development and maintenance
- Watering – glasshouses, nursery stock and borders with weekend duties on rota
- Mowing (ride-on and pedestrian), edging and strimming of formal lawns and other grassed areas
- Hedge trimming – Yew, Box and Thorn including topiary
- Tree work
- Pest and disease monitoring
- Weed killing drives and paths
- Operation of a varied range of horticultural machinery
- You will be working as the senior member of a team of four gardeners with additional trainees and seasonal staff.
- Compliance with the Trust’s health and safety policy and all health and safety rules and regulations for the better and safer execution of all day to day work.
- To undergo any other training that might reasonably be needed for the better performance of the role.
- To be flexible in the approach to work hours to help cope with emergencies and other unforeseen occurrences.
- Any other tasks that may reasonably be required to aid in the maintenance, care and development of the garden and landscape.
The successful applicant is likely to have the following abilities:
- Extensive practical experience in a similar position
- Formal horticultural qualifications
- Supervisory experience of staff and trainees with leadership skills
- Good communication skills, written and verbal
- Experience and willingness to lead guided tours of the gardens
- PA 1+6
- Extensive plant knowledge and the associated maintenance and propagation requirements including glasshouses
- Experience and competence of a wide range of garden machinery
- Full driving licence
- Physically fit to meet demands of the job and able to work in all weather conditions as required
- Knowledge and understanding of current Health and Safety legislation and good working practice with regard for own and others safety
- Punctual but with a willingness to be flexible with time
- Self-motivated and driven individual able to work solely and as part of a team
- A “can do now” attitude